COMMUNICATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE
American Architectural Foundation
Washington, District of Columbia
At the American Architectural Foundation (AAF), we are currently seeking a full-time Communications and Development Associate. I wanted to bring the position to your attention because it may be of interest to some of your recent graduates.
Founded in 1943 and headquartered in Washington, DC, the American Architectural Foundation is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to improving lives and transforming communities through leadership development in urban design. Each day, civic and education leaders across the country make key decisions that shape our built environment in fundamental ways. Through its programs, AAF seeks to educate those leaders about the power of architecture to elevate the quality of life in their cities. In 2009, AAF was on the ground in more than fifty cities in the U.S. and abroad, collaborating with elected officials, educators, business leaders, design professionals, and other leading voices in the design process. For more information on AAF’s work, visit www.archfoundation.org.
Status: Exempt Full-time Employee, 37.5 hours/week
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is provided, including health and dental insurance, a retirement savings plan, and a transit subsidy.
• Candidate must be an exceptionally strong writer, preferably with professional writing experience.
• Proven track record of writing funding proposals desirable.
• Development research experience desirable.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, English, or a related field preferred.
• Editing and proofreading experience.
• Outstanding listening skills.
• Ability to write in line with organizational style guides.
• Ability to create timelines and work plans for assigned projects.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Project management experience desirable.
• Advanced computer proficiency.
• Some travel will be required.
• Provides research and writing support for communications and development efforts.
• Drafts copy for a variety of print and digital deliverables (reports, whitepapers, articles, press releases, newsletters, etc.).
• Edits and proofreads copy written by AAF colleagues.
• Manages funding partnerships and grant fulfillment as assigned.
• Updates the organization’s website daily through a CMS portal and ensures that all information on the website is current.
• Helps to coordinate information distribution to a variety of constituent and media outlets.
• Monitors newswires for relevant information on the organization, its related industries, and its constituencies.
• Assists with the overall development and implementation of the organization’s strategic communications plan.
• Reports to Director of Strategic Initiatives.
• Please send cover letter, résumé, salary history, and three (3) writing samples to:
American Architectural Foundation
Office of Strategic Initiatives
1799 New York Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20006
• If selected for interview, three (3) references will be requested.
• Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; however, the final application deadline is April 23, 2010. Interviews may begin before this date, so candidates are encouraged to apply early.
• NO CALLS PLEASE.